Re: [cdt-dev] Speaking of Linux Desktop

Hi,

On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 13:48 -0300, Daniel Felix Ferber wrote:
> 1) Most Linux distros will prioritize GNU as Java VM. Compared to
> other VMs, I noted that GNU VM makes Eclipse run slow, consume a large
> amount of memory and even crash often.

I don't think gcj/gij is as bad as you say but this is going away with
OpenJDK.  And there's always been the option to run with a proprietary
JVM.

> 2) Even worse, these Linux distros do not easy the installation of
> quality Java VMs, like those from Sun or IBM.

The distros that do this are committed to Free Software which those VMs
are not.

> 3) Most Linux distros provide packages that install a customized
> Eclipse thought their own package manager. This customized versions
> are compiled with gij and suffer the same performance and memory
> issues that I have already mentioned.

I can't think of any customizations other than making things compile
with distro-included packages like Firefox or a different version of
Tomcat (for help).  Eclipse is built by the distros using the JDT Core
compiler (ecj) just like it is with an upstream download.  The
post-processing native compilation is only used if one is using gij.
The bytecode is present and the same as an upstream download.

> 4) Once installed, Eclipse GUI inherits the GTK theme from the
> desktop.  On user friendly distros, font and borders are set to a size
> that does not allow a developer to show together editor and project
> view, even on a high resolution screen. In this situations, compared
> to other development tools, Eclipse looks ugly.

I can't say I've experienced this.  But this is obviously an SWT issue.

> There were several other major issues, but I was very pleased to see
> CDT 4.0 solve most of them!

While I'm not discrediting the great work that went into the CDT 4.0, I
don't see how it has solved any of these issues :)

Andrew