RE: [cdt-dev] Speaking of Linux Desktop

What I'd like to see, and maybe its out there already, is tutorials or case
studies on how to set up the CDT to work on various significant open source
projects, such as GNOME, Mozilla, etc. I do a little one for Firefox, but I
don't write code for Firefox to know whether or not I really have it set up
right. And if it turns out that we find serious issues that is impeding
adoption by these projects, then we should fix them. Right now, I feel like
it's a big question mark.

I'd also like to make these experiences more visible on the CDT web site to
help address the lack of marketing that we do have with the CDT project.
I'll bounce this off the Eclipse market folk as well to see what they think
we could do.

Doug Schaefer, QNX Software Systems

On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 09:14 +0200, Erik Nilsson wrote:
> While browsing the subject I came across this link that you might find
> interesting
>
> http://live.gnome.org/EclipseIdeas

:)  I was there when that was started back at GUADEC in Stuttgart in May
2005.  We had just gotten Eclipse (and the CDT) into Fedora and had some
momentum and interest from GNOME developers.  Unfortunately, we haven't
been able to create something that has been compelling enough for most
GNOME developers (at least not that I've seen).  Or we haven't marketed
our work enough.  Or everyone loves vi/emacs too much :) .

We're always working to increase our userbase, but it's a difficult task
and difficult to measure.  I think we're slowly increasing both our
appeal and our userbase.  Also, more and more people are becoming aware
of stuff that's available.

Andrew "optimistic" Overholt >

Back to the top