Re: [cdt-dev] A minimal implementation of a language in Eclipse

Another article you might find interesting is the Eightbol project here:

http://www.eightbol.org/

To quote:
It was created because we wanted to demonstrate how easy it is to create an IDE for a new language by extending the Eclipse CDT. The Eightbol IDE can be recreated from scratch in about an hour, complete with Outline view, debugger support, CVS support, and other advanced features.

Good luck!
--
Derek

Craig Ugoretz wrote:
Hello,
I want to first thank Beth, Doug, and Mike for their assistance. I have contacted SAFARI per Beth, also mindful of Doug's comments, and printed out the article series "Create Commercial Quality Eclipse IDEs" that Mike recommended. I also took a brief look at the list of articles in the Eclipse Articles Corner and downloaded the Power Point presentation "Join the Conversation". I found that article extremely interesting, and at that time I care to inquire if you can refer me to a means of starting a conversation about the Mozart-Oz integration. I do have a mailing list set up for the project, but have not put it to use yet (no advertising). Another point that the article brought up is that of Eclipse being a "meritocracy", i.e. people are judged by the merit that they bring to a project. Quite frankly, I am looking for people to lead the Mozart-Oz project. I am proud to propose it and work towards understanding what needs to be done to implement it, but quite frankly I lack experience (although I am actively seeking it). I am self conscious posting to mailing lists because I feel like I am masquerading as someone that I am not. Maybe that feeling will go away in time, but right now I feel uncomfortable and unsure of myself (although your kind responses have provided my with some confidence). Again, is there a venue where I can have that conversation? Thanks kindly, Craig On 3/4/07, *Mike Kucera* <mkucera@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkucera@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    This article series is interesting:
    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/views/opensource/libraryview.jsp?search_by=Create+commercial-quality+eclipse+ide
    There are a bunch of other articles on the IBM developerworks site
    as well
    as the eclipse articles corner:
    http://www.eclipse.org/articles/index.php

    You might also want to look at the source code for the Haskell and OCaml
    eclipse plugins: http://eclipsefp.sourceforge.net/

    I wrote a small lambda calculus interpreter in Mozart-Oz when I was in
    school, its a very cool language. I wish you the best of luck.

    Mike Kucera
    IBM CDT Team
    IBM Toronto Lab
    905-413-3657
    mkucera@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkucera@xxxxxxxxxx>

                "Craig Ugoretz"
                <craigugoretz@gma
                 il.com
    <http://il.com>>                                                    To
                Sent by:                  cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                cdt-dev-bounces@e                                          cc

                clipse.org <http://clipse.org>
                                                                      Subject
                                          [cdt-dev] A minimal implementation
                03/03/2007 10:34          of a language in Eclipse
                PM

                Please respond to
                  "CDT General
                developers list."
                <cdt-dev@eclipse.
                      org>

    Hello,

        I am thinking about helping a software community implement their
    language in Eclipse.  The name of the language is Mozart-Oz, and its
    home
    page can be found here:   http://www.mozart-oz.org/.  Listed below is an
    email that I received from the SWT mailing list when I queried it.  The
    responder correspondingly referred me to this mailing list (I think
    - CDT
    may not be the same as CDE, although it too deals with the C
    language).  My
    basic question at this time is:  what must a person need to do produce a
    minimal implementation of a language in Eclipse per what Carolyn has
    outlined for me?  Can you point me in a direction in regard to what
    I need
    to learn and what type of artifact should be produced first?  Also,
    if this
    not the correct venue for such a discussion, where may I post to?  Thank
    you for very much for any assistance you may be able to provide me.

    Sincerely,
    Craig

    Craig,

    Here's more info on what SWT is: http://www.eclipse.org/swt/

    If you are serious about developing an Eclipse plugin for any
    programming
    language, you might want to start by talking to the CDE people, who
    developed the C language eclipse plugin.
    Implementing a programming language plugin is a huge undertaking,
    and you
    need to think about many issues: editing with syntax highlighting,
    compiling, debugging, etc.
    You will have to get to know most of the components in the base of
    eclipse,
    and you may discover that you need new functionality in eclipse itself,
    which you may have to provide patches for and present your case for
    including them in the base.
    Your plugin itself will have to be written in Java - that is the
    language
    for writing eclipse plugins, and that is the language for programming in
    SWT.

    The CDE newsgroup is: news://news.eclipse.org/eclipse.tools.cdt
    You need to create a password to use it - this is to discourage
    spammers.
    Try posting there to ask what is involved, and where to start.

    Good luck, and hope this helps.
    Carolyn