[cdt-dev] Firefox Performance Update

Hey gang,

I reran the Firefox performance numbers again from HEAD with Markus’s new logging data (thanks, Markus!). This is Firefox 2.0 on Ubuntu Linux on my Athlon 64 2800 box with 512 MB RAM.

This time I compared the Fast indexer with the Full indexer. Here’s what I got:

Fast:

  2606 source + 4429 headers

  527 seconds (8.8 minutes)

  532,473 declarations

  1,596,258 references

  621,308 problems (22.6%)

  2,750,039 total symbols

Full:

  2606 source + 4463 headers

  2695 seconds (44.9 minutes)

  574,538 declarations

  1,967,108 references

  251,652 problems (9.0%)

  2,793,298 total symbols

I found these numbers very interesting and it somewhat validates the strategy. We are finding almost the same number of symbols during the parse phase. The big difference is that we are failing to resolve many more of them, although we are only missing 13% over the ones we already miss in the Full index (which at 9% given a full parse is a bit disappointing). But the difference in speed is huge.

Doug Schaefer, QNX Software Systems
Eclipse CDT Project Lead, Tools PMC Member

Back to the top