Re: [cdt-dev] Architecture-specific switches redux

You can re-use the existing GCC build definitions by using the appropriate
entity's ID as the superClass attribute's ID.  If you look in the GCC
definitions, this is used by the various project types so that they do not
have to redefine the compiler in full each time they wish to use it.

Using this mechanism, you could easily create a new plugin that inherits
the existing behaviour of the GCC integration, but adds the options you are
looking for.  I think we could find a home for such a plugin somewhere in
the CDT.

The issue of packaging which Doug mentions is an open issue that we need to
sort out for 4.0.  It's obvious that we need separate GNU and Windows
(without GNU or CygWin or MinGW) flavours of CDT download (or just features
on the update site?), but the form it would all take and how many other
flavours we'd have to support isn't a conversation we've really had yet.

Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT Team
IBM Toronto
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt