[cdt-dev] Architecture-specific switches redux

Hello,

Let me first apologize for this long-winded email.

Many months ago I sent an email to this list about adding some architecture-specific switches to the CDT so that we can make it easier for users of the PowerPC architecture to create 64-bit executables.

Some discussion ensued and the conclusion came to was that the CDT team would like to solve the issue of the many possible architecture-specific (and other) switches, but not to add the switches one at a time in an ad-hoc fashion. We briefly discussed having gcc generate an XML description of its switches to be consumed by the CDT, and the CDT would dynamically generate a build tool settings page for that compiler.

That XML-based solution would require a lot of engineering, well beyond what we initially had in mind.

So our group is still stuck at the point of wanting these 64-bit switches to be available somehow, at the very least in the documentation.

I have looked through the CDT documentation, and while it looks good and seems to cover many topics, there is no section describing architecture-specific compiler options. I think there is an unwritten assumption there that the developer knows he is using gcc and that the gcc man pages is where he needs to look at to figure out which extra switches are needed, if any. Should this be written down? Is there an accepted way of adding compiler-specific info to the CDT docs?

One alternative we have discussed in my group is to create a version of the CDT that is tuned to the PowerPC and re-distribute it on a web site like penguinppc.org. I'd rather not have to do that if I can avoid it. Are there any known pratfalls in that approach, other than the obvious maintenance issues?

I also got to wondering if I could just create a small plug-in that plugs into an extension point of org.eclipse.managedbuilder.gnu.ui, that adds the switches using that. However, it appears that managedbuilder.gnu.ui doesn't have any extension points to plug into. I am a new user/developer of plug-ins, so I may be missing the extension point somehow.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to move forward with this issue would be appreciated.

Regards,

- Corey

--
Corey Ashford