RE: [cdt-dev] Can we merge in Zylin CDT features?

Doug,

From the debugger implementers' point of view we currently have all (or almost all) features to create custom launch configurations. I have implemented in very short time a launcher to start a JTAG session that works with ARM hardware. It is not generic because it is hardware-specific, but some of the features can be generalized and added to CDT. For example, a UI components can be added to define gdb macros and similar things.
I have been also thinking to provide an abstract launch configuration for remote debugging, but it needs a target management system (RSE?).
The Oyvind's work is important and useful for the experienced gdb users who do remote debugging and don't want to write their own launch configurations. If there is a version that works with the head branch, I can take a look at it and try to merge it.

Mikhail K.

PS It seems the legal process is progressing and I may get my committer status resumed in the next couple of weeks.

From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Doug Schaefer
Sent: 03 November 2006 14:36
To: CDT Debug developers list; CDT General developers list.
Subject: [cdt-dev] Can we merge in Zylin CDT features?

One thing I’m seeing more and more are developers using and vendors distributing the Zylin version of the CDT for embedded development. Clearly there is a need out there for the features that this version of the CDT offers that the official CDT does not. And looking at JTAG/qemu support using gdb server, I see it as well. In particular, the need to issue a number of gdb commands to initialize the session (set up registers, load the app, add symbols) and a number of commands to cause the application to start (go to magic address).

For CDT 4.0, I’d like to see the CDT enhanced to meet the needs of Zylin’s users. Oyvind has repeatedly mentioned that he’d like to see that happen. That way we can avoid the need for users to pick between the two and minimizes the work Oyvind needs to do to support his customers.

Mikhail K, when you mentioned you were thinking of enhancements to our gdb integration, is this what you had in mind? If not, I’d like to add a plan item to the 4.0 list.

Thanks,

Doug Schaefer
QNX Software Systems
Eclipse CDT Project Lead
http://cdtdoug.blogspot.com

--

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.  Thank you.

Back to the top