Re: [cdt-dev] Using CDT with IBM's xlc compiler and xldb debugger

My team is actually working on xlC integration as we speak, and the plan is
to contribute the error parsers and MBS toolchains to CDT.

MI support for xldb wasn't on our radar yet, but if there is sufficient
need out there it's possible that we could do this.  MI is the "Machine
Interface" layer in the CDT's debug infrastructure that maps the various
commands that CDT needs to invoke (set breakpoint, step, run, etc.) to
commands that the command line debugger can understand.  This is
accomplished by implementing a set of Java classes and contributing them
via extending an extension point.  Right now there is no mysterious
definition file that will let you do this, the mapping is done via actual
Java code.

===========================

Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT Team
IBM Toronto
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt

             Marcel
             Zalmanovici
             <MARCEL@xxxxxxxxx                                          To
             m>                        cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             cdt-dev-bounces@e
             clipse.org                                            Subject
                                       [cdt-dev] Using CDT with IBM's xlc
                                       compiler and xldb debugger
             04/07/2006 08:50
             AM

             Please respond to
               "CDT General
             developers list."
             <cdt-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

Hi All,

Has anyone attempted (and succeeded) to configure CDT to use xlc and/or
xldb ?

What do I need to provide in order to use of xlc instead of gcc ? Simply
setting this compiler is not enough since CDT is unable to parse error
messages from xlc.
Does anyone have a patch/configuration details that will allow me to see
xlc errors in the problems view ? .. and of course can share those with me.

For the use of xldb I understand that I need some mysterious definitions
file that should allow CDT to 'understand' and issue commands such as set
breakpoint, next line, ec.
Does anyone possess such a file ?

Thanks in advance,
Marcel