Fw: [cdt-dev] MBS wizard extension debugging

Hey, I think I isolated what was causing the problem.
When I try to get a page property that doesn't exist, everything
degrades...

            propID = "mpiIncludePath";// bogus?
            obj = MBSCustomPageManager.getPageProperty(pageID, propID);

When I set propID to the "proper" value (the value that was set in the
wizardPage) things start to work
predictably... OK now I can step further...stay tuned.

Very strange.

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts  (859) 243-4981  (TL 545-4981)
IBM T.J.Watson Research Center
Mailing Address:  IBM Corp., 455 Park Place, Lexington, KY 40511
----- Forwarded by Beth Tibbitts/Watson/IBM on 05/31/2006 03:47 PM -----

             Beth
             Tibbitts/Watson/I
             BM                                                         To
                                       "CDT General developers list."
             05/31/2006 03:34          <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [cdt-dev] MBS wizard extension
                                       debugging(Document link: Beth
                                       Tibbitts)

The Runnable works with some code, just not with "more."
In particular the hunk of code i uncomment which causes it to fail is:

      Object obj = MBSCustomPageManager.getPageProperty(pageID, propID);
            String mpiIncludePath = null;
            if (obj != null) {
                  mpiIncludePath = obj.toString();
            }
            System.out.println("Found MPI include path: " +
mpiIncludePath);

But, I'm not convinced the specific code is the culprit.

I'm on Windows XP.

I'm trying to isolate it to a smaller test case that will fail...  I will
post that if I can make it small and intelligible...

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts  (859) 243-4981  (TL 545-4981)
IBM T.J.Watson Research Center
Mailing Address:  IBM Corp., 455 Park Place, Lexington, KY 40511

             Chris Recoskie
             <recoskie@xxxxxx.
             Sent by:                  "CDT General developers list."
             cdt-dev-bounces@e         <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             clipse.org                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             05/31/2006 02:19          Re: [cdt-dev] MBS wizard extension
             PM                        debugging

             Please respond to
               "CDT General
             developers list."
             <cdt-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

Without seeing the code in question I can't really help too much I'm
afraid.  "Works for me."

How minimal is your Runnable?  Also, what platform are you running on?

===========================

Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT Team
IBM Toronto
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt

             Beth Tibbitts
             <tibbitts@xxxxxx.
             Sent by:                  cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             cdt-dev-bounces@e                                          cc
             clipse.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [cdt-dev] MBS wizard extension
             31/05/2006 02:09          debugging
             PM

             Please respond to
               "CDT General
             developers list."
             <cdt-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

I am having strange problems trying to debug some MBS extensions... I added
a wizard page for C Managed Build projects, with a Runnable that runs at
the end
of the wizard, to incorporate user's selections made in my wizard page.
Thanks to Chris Recoskie for some pointers to know what to try... I'll
document all this when I get it working...
But I can't even get all of the Runnable to run...

I have had problems with cygpath.exe errors, and JVM segfaults.
I'm on Windows XP.
I have upgraded cygwin to the most recent everything, got Eclipse 3.2 RC6
(was RC4)  and CDT RC2 (nightly build from 5/30) plus CDT code from head on
some projects yesterday.
Finally to try to avoid segfaults I got the Sun JVM 1.5 for 'installed JRE"
(I was using the IBM JVM).
The segfaults & "unknown bytecode" errors have stopped but now the
intermittent behavior in the wizard's execution  seems to have returned...
I'm not certain that the JVM change really 'fixed' things.  Just changed
the symptoms.

My wizardPage ctor always runs... I can see from a println...
but often the Whole "New C Managed Build Project" wizard doesn't run.  Then
sometimes the "New C Managed Build Project" wizard runs, but my wizard page
doesn't show up.
It seems to vary depending on if I select :
(1)New.. Project then select " C > Managed Make C Project " from the first
wizard page
or
(2) New >  " Managed Make C Project" directly from the context menu.
Do these take two different routes?
Route (1) seems more reliable... at least the wizard has already started so
it proceeds.  But then sometimes my page isn't at the end... even though
the ctor has already run.

I can dramatically (consistently) change the behavior of the above wizard
if i simply comment out part of the code in my Runnable.
So simply having the code compiled in seems to affect whether or not the
wizard, or the wizardpage, that it's attached to (via extensionPt) actually
gets shown.
This is very strange, 'feels' like a JVM problem still, to me.

I also have discovered that it seems I need to catch all errors in my
wizard page that extends MBSCustomPage, and the Runnable,  regardless of if
the compiler forces me to,
or else it dies down in the bowels of Eclipse platform code somewhere.
try/catch around entire method seems safer now.  Should this be so?
But right now, I can't even get it to fail this way, since changing the
JVM.

I just switched to using Sun's JDK 1.5 for both my development version of
Eclipse, *and* the runtime JRE.  Same behavior.

So, i seem to be stuck.  I can't get much of anything useful to run in a
Runnable() attached to my wizard page.

Am I going crazy???

High Productivity Tools / Parallel Tools    http://eclipse.org/ptp