[cdt-dev] Questions on manipulating AST

I sent the following message to cdt-core-dev but didn't get any reply. I guess maybe cdt-dev is the right list for me to send my questions. I did get some ideas after reading earlier archives and browsing the cdt code today. But it is still quite confusing and I really appreciate suggestions.

Hello,

I'm a newbie to cdt though I have written some tiny plug ins with jdt. I am doing a small plug-in project with cdt because I have to deal with C/C++ code this time. The first step is as follows:

1. I need to put certain profiling code before and after selected language constructs such as function calls, loops and function bodies.

2. I will put special comment lines like "// !@#$%^ begins" "// !@#$%^ ends" before and after the added profiling code.I will be able to remove the profiling code based on these special comments automatically.

3. I will declare some new variables and add #include to the original code for profiling use.

With jdt, I can use org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.rewrite.ASTRewrite to change the AST tree. But I have no idea how to do this with cdt. My questions are:

1. What is the best way to do tree changes in cdt and where are the documentation and examples? I tried to look  at the refactorying code but couldn't understand  it quickly.

2. Anything special about manipulating comments? I believe they are treated differently.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best,
Qingda Lu

Back to the top