From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Delicia
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 3:07 PM
To: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [cdt-dev] Re: assignToOption for inputType element

Hi Mikhail,

>Is your intention is to specify some additional script file to the
>linker using the "-T" option of your linker, or do you need two separate
>tool invocations: one for the pre-link script processing and one for the
>linker invocation?

    The answer to both questions is Yes.

Let me explain the relevant steps in order.

- The pre-link step is an independent tool invocation. Here, an input file containing app specific information is processed to generate a linker script for the linker.

- The next step is the link step, which is another tool invocation. This uses the file generated in the prelink step as one of the inputs. Since the file is a linker script, it should be passed to the linker with a "-T" flag

>Is the <linker_script_name.ld> file has some pre-defined name and
>location or do you need to allow users to specify/change this file name
>to the linker?

    The <linker_script_name.ld> file would have a pre-defined name, which gets decided similar to 'C' files.

eg. %.ld: %.ldi    [ multiapp.ld: multiapp.ldi ]

So the name and location of the linker script cannot be specified/changed by the linker.

Note that not all projects would have an app-specific linker script to be generated, so the "-T" option should get added to the command line only for a project having a linker script generated.

Thanks,

Delicia.

Back to the top