RE: [cdt-dev] Shared/global/toolchain option flags

Hi Ryan,

See my answers embedded below.

Regards,

Mikhail

As the code to turn the tool options into command line flags exists

inside the Tool class instead of the HoldsOptions class, does this

mean I will need to implement my own option parsing code for the

ToolChain options? (This seemed a tad excessive)

[Mikhail] The Managed Build System (MBS), does not define or expect any particular behavior from the tool-chain options. This is up-to an ISV to specify and implement this behavior. This allows a lot of different cases of using the Tool-chain options and brings a lot flexibility and extendability for the MBS in general.

In case you need to set/add some option values for all tools of your tool-chain, you might want to do, e.g. one of the following:

1.Define a custom command line generator (as you mentioned above), and check the tool-chain option value (e.g. IOption.get*Value) and add the appropriate flags to your tool options based upon it.

2.Define an option value handler mechanism for your tool-chain options for handling the EVENT_APPLY even. See org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.IManagedOptionValueHandler. Your call-back will be notified when the option value is changed, and you could update some option values for each of your tools. The value handler is specified with the “valueHandler” option attribute in your tool-chain definition.

If the options can be converted to flags with existing methods, how

would one access them?

[Mikhail] What kind of the options are you using with your tool-chain?

There are several different types of options that are inserted in the command line differently.

See the Tool.getToolCommandFlags method for more detail.

(I did stumble across talk of build macros

being used but have been unable to find anything concrete)

CDT 3.0.2

Eclipse 3.1.2

If I'm missing something simple please point it out, otherwise any

assistance would be much appreciated.

Ryan Hapgood

HI-TECH Software