[cdt-dev] Download stats

Hey gang,

One thing I finally noticed is that the Eclipse webmaster team is collecting
pretty accurate download stats. These stats, however, are based on using the
same mechanism that makes the mirrors work and our downloads aren't
thoroughly mirror enabled at the moment.

But it does give us some pretty good hint at the magnitude of the numbers.
For example, here are the 3.0.0 downloads since Oct 1.

87579 (66%) - Windows
36597 (28%) - Linux x86
 4718 ( 4%) - MacOSX
 2254 ( 2%) - Linux x86-64
  701 ( 1%) - Solaris
  177       - AIX
  143       - Linux ppc
   63       - Linux ia64
   31       - QNX

 132,263 - Total

84644 (64%) - from Update Site
47619 (36%) - from zip/tar.gz files

I find that total number pretty significant, especially since it misses out
the first 6 weeks of 3.0.0's life.

I also have numbers for 3.0.1 but only for the download site (i.e. the dist
zips/tar.gz's aren't hooked up correctly yet). They show us at almost 55,000
downloads in the three weeks since we released, in pretty much the same
ratio on the platforms.

I'll get our download site hooked up correctly to make sure we get good
numbers going forward. This is very valuable when weighing the user base of
the CDT, at least in open source.

Cheers,
Doug

Back to the top