To: <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2005 2:38 PM
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Evaluating the output of gdb monitor commands

Hi Mikhail,

I thought you might pick this one up ... thank you

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the records prefixed by @ represent the
output
from the program being debugged. Why would gdb print something to this
stream?

Our idea was to use a gdb "monitor" command and evaluate the output.
"monitor"
commands are mapped to a serial protocol's qRcmd packet. And here is the

documentation for qRcmd from "Debugging with gdb", Ninth Edition, for
gdb
version 6.3.50.20050712:

===================================
qRcmd,command — remote command
        command (hex encoded) is passed to the local interpreter for
execution. [...] Before the final result  packet, the target may also
respond
with a number of intermediate Ooutput console output packets.
Implementors
should note that providing access to a stubs’s interpreter may have
security
implications.

Since the documentation explicitly mentions using "O" response packets
that's
what we did. And gdb in turn prints them with a preceding "@", which is
assigned to the console stream, and is not collected by MIInfo.

Hence my question whether there would be any harm in collecting console
stream
records also. What do you think?

Thanks,

Norbert