Re: [cdt-dev] non make builder AKA The Shell Game

On Tuesday 22 November 2005 14:21, Recoskie, Chris wrote:
> Well, we (i.e. various people involved with CDT) have bantered about the
> idea of creating any/all of:
>
> - a new, completely Java based builder
> - ANT based builder
> - nmake builder
>
> So far no one has had the time to take the ball and run with any of
> these.
>
> My personal opinion is that there is that effort would be best spent
> creating an internal builder rather than spending it trying to do the
> others, as none of them are a trivial amount of work, and an internal
> builder would definitely give us maximum flexibility.
>
> Some day, hopefully...

Well as said before I created a builder that utilizes SCons. It is currently
limited to things I need, but it may be worth a closer look.

The plugin has the following features
 - support for multiple platforms and build configurations
 - builds an executable or a library for each directory that contains source
files
 - allows to build your project outside of Eclipse (automated builds)
 - allows to build/rebuild parts of the project like selected files and
directories
 - allows to modify build settings (like CFLAGS) on a per directory basis
 - allows to have different build settings for different build configurations
 - support for building CppUnit tests
 - supports user extensions to SConstruct (thanks to Rafael de Pelegrini
Soares)
 - support for user defined target hooks (can be used to generate user
specific install targets)
 - support the generation of doxygen documenation

> > If you want to play around with SCons I recommend looking at my SCons
> > Plugin
> > for the CDT at
>
> http://nic-nac-project.de/~lothar/eclipse/update/SConsBuilderPlugin.html

Lothar