From: Eclipse WebMaster (Denis Roy) [mailto:webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 12:22 PM
To: Doug Schaefer; Sebastien Marineau
Subject: CDT project popularity

You know your project is getting popular when the WebMaster starts
bothering you to optimize your downloads...

Congrats.  On with my rant:

The CDT Update manager site.xml at
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/releases/eclipse3.1/site.xml
doesn't use the mirrors facility.  All the Update Manager downloads for
CDT come to download.eclipse.org, and that doesn't scale.

You can wrap your "features" around a "site" tag in the site.xml file.
Below is a sample site.xml from the lepido project, and it uses the Find
a Mirror to fetch a list of mirrors that have the Update content.  You
should be using something similar for CDT to spare our bandwidth.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<site
mirrorsURL="http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/technology/l
epido/update-site/&amp;format=xml">
    <description
url="http://download.eclipse.org/technology/lepido/update-site/";>
       Lepido, Tools for Apache Cocoon
    </description>
    <feature url="features/org.eclipse.lepido_0.1.0.jar"
id="org.eclipse.lepido" version="0.1.0">
       <category name="lepido"/>
    </feature>
    <category-def name="lepido" label="Lepido, Tools for Apache Cocoon"/>
</site>

Using this URL, I spot 23 CDT mirrors.  You could use this as your
mirrorsURL attribute:
http://eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/tools/cdt/releases/eclipse3.
1/site.xml&format=xml&protocol=http

Thanks for looking into this!