[cdt-dev] CDT from the user's perspective

I'm not writing here to get help, but...

Installed Eclipse on a number of systems and never had any trouble as far as Java.   But I've wasted maybe 5 hours trying to get a version of CDT installed on my Windows box which has Eclipse 3.1.   I'm giving up, but I think if you guys had added just a couple sentences to your website it would save people who want to use your stuff a lot of frustration.

The FAQ says nothing about Eclipse 3.1, nor anyting about how to install CDT manually since the Update Manager method doesn't work.

The link to the web archive of the user group is broken.  There is no CDT help forum for users that I could find.

So the Eclipse Update Manager can't find the right CDT.  ok.
So CDT web page directs me to a page with a bunch of links with different builds.  These have long names with no descriptions.  I guess it doesn't matter.
There is no .eclipseextension file in the .zip, so Eclipse won't install the plugin from my unpacked .zip.  So I copy the contents of Features to my eclipse Features folder, and so on for the Plugins folder.    Still, there seems to be no way to Eclipse to recognize the 3.0.0 version of CDT.   I did find one posting on a website where somebody had the same problem.  They said to use the Update Manager button which unhides the disabled features.  Still no luck for me.

No need to reply to this, I know this is the developer list.   I'm going to uninstall Eclipse 3.1 and try to find an Eclipse version with has a CDT I can actually install and run.

Thanks for your time, -Kevin Stokes

>From The Website:

Also, the CDT 2.x builds will not work with Eclipse 3.1. For new CDT 3.0 builds that will work with Eclipse 3.1, please visit our weekly build site.   <--- However there is no info on which one to pick, or how to install it.

For more information see http://www.eclipse.org/cdt.

There are two ways to install the CDT: this update site, or the old-fashioned way using zip files.

(Then there is a section explaining how to update from the update site, and a section on the 'old-fashioned way' without an iota of info on how to do it.)

Back to the top