From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Doug Schaefer
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 1:11 PM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: RE: [cdt-dev] ASM content-type and uppercase S

Just to back up Alain's claim, here's the excerpt from
the gnu make manual. I guess this should be the guide
while we are so gnu centric.
---
Assembling and preprocessing assembler programs
   `n.o' is made automatically from `n.s' by running
the assembler, as. The precise command is `$(AS)
$(ASFLAGS)'.

   `n.s' is made automatically from `n.S' by running
the C preprocessor, cpp. The precise command is
`$(CPP) $(CPPFLAGS)'.
Cheers,
Doug

--- Alain Magloire <alain@xxxxxxx> wrote:

The meaning of *.S files were assembly code
containing preprocessor symbols.
So the preprocessor must be run on the file first
and the output can be fed
to the assembler.

I'm not sure of the actions of the MBS but if it
consider *.s and *.S to be
the same, then lets remove the *.S

Really I would preferred to define a new ContentType
in CDT/Core

  <extension
point="org.eclipse.core.runtime.contentTypes"> <file-association
content-type="org.eclipse.cdt.core.asmPreProcessorSource"
      file-extensions="S"/>
  </extension>

But I do not think, that is probably to late to
introduce a new content-type
(maybe for CDT-3.1).  And with the problem of the
ContentType framework
blindly doing uppercase(or lowercase) to all not
sure of the side
effects(There is a PR on this).

For the CDT modules the use of asm is in :
- AsmEditor --> contentType(asmSource)
- CView --> choosing the right icon(asmSource).

So removing the *.S in the file-extensions is not a
big problem.

Any other comments?

Votes?