RE: [cdt-dev] ASM content-type and uppercase S

The meaning of *.S files were assembly code containing preprocessor symbols.
So the preprocessor must be run on the file first and the output can be fed
to the assembler.

I'm not sure of the actions of the MBS but if it consider *.s and *.S to be
the same, then lets remove the *.S

Really I would preferred to define a new ContentType in CDT/Core

   <extension point="org.eclipse.core.runtime.contentTypes">
      <file-association
       content-type="org.eclipse.cdt.core.asmPreProcessorSource"
       file-extensions="S"/>
   </extension>

But I do not think, that is probably to late to introduce a new content-type
(maybe for CDT-3.1).  And with the problem of the ContentType framework
blindly doing uppercase(or lowercase) to all not sure of the side
effects(There is a PR on this).

For the CDT modules the use of asm is in :
- AsmEditor --> contentType(asmSource)
- CView --> choosing the right icon(asmSource).

So removing the *.S in the file-extensions is not a big problem.

Any other comments?

Votes?

Back to the top