Re: [cdt-dev] CDT 3.0 Closing

Alain Magloire wrote:

The reason I ask is that we have a large number of bugs still open on
3.0, the vast majority owned by the gang at QNX. I just want to make
sure we're all on the same page.

Yes, we've been so tied up; things have a surprising way of coming together
at the wrong moment.  How about to see after RC3 if an RC4 is needed? 8-)

Note: July/August release cycles are no-nos, recipe for trouble.
This is one of the biggest concerns I have with the CDT today. The quality and timing of our releases are pretty unpredictable. Much of this, as you mention Alain, has to do with other priorities that the developers have that prevents them from following through with commitments to the CDT community. We certainly have high quality people as committers so it's definitely not a personal issue. Maybe this is just the way it is with open source development. I have seen many open source projects that seem to just pop up releases randomly. Commercial vendors usually keep a pretty good arms length between open source releases and patched versions of those releases that end up in product.

I'm definitely interested in hearing everyones' opinions and recommendations on this matter. Is this really a problem for the community and, if so, can we come up with a creative solution to help address it.

Cheers,
Doug

Back to the top