RE: [cdt-dev] Proposing Mikhail Sennikovsky for MBS committer

Hi folks,

Great discussion... I think Doug is correct, or at least his interpretation
is what we have been generally using for the project... Although a read of
the actual process is ambiguous. For those that are interested, here's the
full description.

The general commiter guidelines are here:

http://www.eclipse.org/legal/newcommitter.html

This describes the selection of new committers as being a specific process
for a specific top-level project:

"
New Committers are selected and vetted using the processes defined by the
individual PMC's in their top-level project charter.
"

Since we are in the tools PMC, one has to look at the Eclipse Tools Charter:

http://www.eclipse.org/tools/eclipsetools-charter.html

And under the "committers" section, the following is described:

"
In order for a Developer to become a Committer on a particular Project
overseen by the PMC, another Committer for the same Project (or component as
appropriate) can nominate that Developer or the Developer can ask to be
nominated. Once a Developer is nominated, the Committers for the Project (or
component) will vote. If there are at least 3 positive votes and no negative
votes, the Developer is recommended to the PMC for commit privileges. If the
PMC also approves, the Developer is converted into a Committer and given
write access to the source code repository for that Project (or component).
Becoming a Committer is a privilege that is earned by contributing and
showing discipline and good judgement. It is a responsibility that should be
neither given nor taken lightly.
"

This is where things get interesting. We have effectively broken the
"Project" up into multiple "components", and have granted commit status per
component (which are actually groups of plugins). This split, though, was
done by us and not the PMC. We have also in the past treated committer votes
as being "global" (we vote as a "Project"), in part because the components
have been small (we don't even always have 3 committers on a component), and
in part because the components are quite inter-related.

As for the process going forward, we really have 2 options: continue using
the same procedure for committers (e.g. global votes), or move to
per-component votes. I'd personally vote (!?) to continue as we're doing
today as it has worked well; I'm not sure the "components" are big enough to
warrant the second option.

Anyways, feel free to comment on this (JohnD, any opinions?).

In the case of MikhailS, let's follow what we've historically done. We're
happy to welcome Mikhail as a new committer to CDT. Welcome (and congrats)
Mikhail!

Sebastien