Re: [cdt-dev] Patch to create ICoreModel interface

On Apr 20, 2005, at 7:45 AM, Douglas Schaefer wrote:

I guess the ideal situation is to minimize the amount of code necessary
when adding support for a new language to the CDT. I've seen this strategy
used by a number of companies now in a number of places (unfortunately
none of them on eclipse.org). I would think that having a whole new UI
(perspective, editor, etc) for each language is too heavy weight,
especially when you consider mixed language projects.

My current thought is to build on the mechanisms we have in place for file types and add a language description interface that would be implemented
for a language (and probably a language UI interface for customizing
certain UI elements like icons). We already have a number of places where
we check whether we are C or C++ to customize behavior in the CDT. The
idea would be to make it extensible so that we can look up in a generic
way to do the same tricks.

A facility to customize UI elements like icons would help a great deal.