RE: [cdt-dev] Replacing the CDT's Make build system

What I meant is that we have a build system already in
place to build our products, and we run our builds
from the command line. I can run my build from Eclipse
with the CDT by setting the Build command and
adjusting the targets ("all" isn't appropriate for us,
but "clean" is fine), but that's not how it would need
to be for real, since that's too limited, and much of
what's presented in the CDT isn't meaningful for my
builds -- certainly none of the Make stuff is, and the
idea of creating a C or C++ project isn't really
apropos either. Now that I've looked at things a bit
more, I think what I need to do is create a new
nature.

As I mentioned earlier, my only reason for wanting to
include the CDT in this is just to have it available
for dealing with the C/C++ sources that are part of my
build -- other than that, I really don't need any of
the other aspects of it. I just need to figure out how
to hook just that part in. It's too bad there's not
more documentation available (if there's any API docs,
I've yet to find it) -- and more comments in the code
would certainly be helpful as well.

http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Builders/builders.html

> > > Other than that, you need to know that the
> standard
> > > that we have is that
> > > any builders that CDT should care about have
> either
> > > the cnature or
> > > ccnature (depending on if the builder is C-based
> or
> > > C++-based
> > > respectively).  There is more that you will have
> > > do if you want all
> > > the bits and pieces of CDT interacting properly
> with
> > > your build system
> > > (e.g. parsing your included files and such), but
> > > that should be enough
> > > to get you started I think if you follow the
> info in
> > > the builder
> > > articles and documentation.
> > >
> > > The topic of creating additional non-make based
> > > builders for CDT came up
> > > a couple of times this week at EclipseCon.  I'm
> sure
> > > we'd all be
> > > interested in hearing more about what you are
> doing.
> > >  E.g., could you
> > > tell us what your requirements are, and whether
> you
> > > are you planning on
> > > contributing such a build system to CDT?

> > > Chris Recoskie
> > > Software Designer
> > > IDE Frameworks Group
> > > Texas Instruments, Toronto