Re: [cdt-dev] Changes in Scanner configuration discovery

> > > Was the reqirement for the Variable Substitution a simple "String
> > > substitution"
> > > or rather to do it on top of the Platform variable plugins(much
> > morecomplex).
> >
> > If I remember our discussion correctly, you said that we may be able to
> > reuse variables framework from eclipse.debug.core. That one uses Platform
> > variables plugin. So I guess in any case we would end up using Eclipse
> > variables plugin. I am still not quite clear in what extent we can reuse
> > that debug framework. It seams that Preferences->Rin/Debug->String
> > substitution preference page is the place where new variables are defined.
> > We need to figure out a way how to use them for string substitution.
> >

> Right, the problem with that approach, is that this is not only for the CDT
> but all.  We probably want to define variables only for the CDT ...
> We need another pow wow! on this 8-)

Yes, the best approach would be to define variables only for CDT and not pollute the global variable space. But for start I don't see a problem if we define a few variables and allow CDT users to define some too. At least we could reuse a lot of the Eclipse variables infrastructure: the manager, already defined variables, string substitution algorithms and related dialogs (misplaced in org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui package?).

Back to the top