Re: [cdt-dev] CDT patch format submission

I agree with you about the need. I'm just not sure how you can "impose" a
standard when every committer carries a veto. No harm in trying, though.

Doug Schaefer, IBM's Technical Lead, Eclipse CDT
Ottawa Lab, IBM Canada, Rational Software Division

"Alain Magloire" <alain@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
12/15/2004 01:14 PM
Please respond to
cdt-dev

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [cdt-dev] CDT patch format submission

> The only formatting I do is organize imports. Otherwise, I let the
> original writer of the code make these kind of decisions.

It does not scale well.
I do not think it is something bad for a project to impose
a format so it can provide consistency across its source code.

> My guess is that you'll have a hard time getting consensus on this,
> especially on coding style.

8-),
The level of tolerance for the CDT, so far been very high ... unless your
code
look like some of our engineer here:
if(!mutex)
{flag=pthread_mutex_init();
thread=pthread_create();
}
else
{flag=pthread_mutex_lock()..;
thread=pthread_create();}

> I'd rather make a strong suggestion to
> minimize code changes to make it easier to deal with aging patches.

Sure, "if it ain't broken .."
But contrarely to say the AST parser, or the debugger, I do expect
the number of people contributing to the UI code to rise and consistency
in a source code bring down the stress factor and the chance of going
bald.

allright then ...