Re: [cdt-dev] Red Hat contributions & final steps

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 05:27:02PM -0400, Thomas Fletcher wrote:
> In my discussion with the Eclipse namespace police, they are
> quite adamant that project plugins only use their allocated
> namespace (and below) so this means:
>
> org.eclipse.cdt.contrib is ok
> org.eclupse.cdt-contrib is a no-no

Would the police object to org.eclipse.cdt.* (ie. like
org.eclipse.cdt.cppunit), as Doug suggested earlier
in this thread?

> Also ... has there been any thought (at RedHat) as to the
> applicability of the profiler plugin to the Hyades project?

Yes, there has been some internal discussion about Hyades.  At this
point, however, I feel that the profiling tool is better off as a CDT
contribution.

Our profiling tool has always had a narrow objective: provide an
Eclipse-based front-end to the Oprofile profiler for C/C++ applications.
Hyades has a much more broad, general set of objectives.  That being
said, one of the proposed directions in opening up our profiling plugin
is to broaden its scope.  For example, some of the CDT participants have
expressed interest in our profiling plugin as a generic front-end to any
profililng back-end, independent of Oprofile.  We'll have to monitor
feedback from participants about whether or not this is the best
approach.  If so, maybe the profiler will move across to the Hyades
project at some point in the future.  At this point in time though, I
feel cdt-contrib is the best place to incubate the profiler plugin.

Jeremy

Back to the top