Re: [cdt-dev] Abbot for SWT

Hi Jeremy,

From our intranet, it appears that "Abbot for SWT" is on an internal
version of SourceForge, and someone is/was seeking approval to release it
beyond IBM, but that might take time.  (Getting approval for going truly
open-source is a common affliction it seems.)

I investigated Abbot for SWT last fall and determined that it might be
good for unit-testing, but not good for black-box testing (and I was/am
looking for black-box testing).  It has made a little incremental progress
since then, probably just keeping pace with SourceForge Abbot.

You're right; decent open-source alternatives for automating GUIs are
probably scarce to non-existent.

Cheers,

- Brent

Jeremy Handcock <handcock@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
07/08/2004 11:04 AM
Please respond to
cdt-dev

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[cdt-dev] Abbot for SWT

There was a discussion on the phone yesterday about GUI testing and
possible alternatives to Rational's tool set.  Open source alternatives
for automating FVT on SWT GUIs seem to be pretty limited, but Abbot for
SWT looks promising:

http://abbot.sourceforge.net

A group at Rational ported Abbot to SWT recently and made their
contributions available upstream.  As I understand it, there's still
more work to be done, but it's a start.

Jeremy