Re: [cdt-dev] Progressing towards 2.0 GA

I agree with the need for a cushion, especially with a major eclipse
release that planned a lot of API change. Hopefully this was an anomaly
but you are right, we should take a good look at what we are trying to
line up against before making our schedule.

However, we also need to keep an eye on a trend. As the CDT gains in
popularity, there will be more parties interested in including the CDT in
their eclipse based products. There will be an expectation that the CDT
will be ready as soon as the platform is ("if JDT can do it, why can't
CDT"). To pull this off will require tighter cooperation between the CDT
and platform teams, and as I mentioned in a previous mail, the platform
team is ready and willing to work with us.

So yes, we need a cushion but it needs to be managed carefully.

Doug Schaefer, IBM's Eclipse CDT Architect
Ottawa (Palladium), Ontario, Canada

"Alain Magloire" <alain@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
06/28/2004 05:25 PM
Please respond to
cdt-dev

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [cdt-dev] Progressing towards 2.0 GA

> Right now the CDT is being pulled to meet contributing teams product
> delivery schedules. As more parties get involved, this is going to be
> difficult to manage. My feel is that the CDT needs to have a life of its

> own with a regular and predictable schedule, likely tied somewhat to the

> Eclipse schedule.

I was hoping you would not say thiss 8-).  For CDT-2.0, locking ourself to
Eclipse-3.0
was ... difficult at best.  The problem was the constant catchup, not easy
to build
something when the foundation is moving.  If we want to put a solid
product out
for the CDT users, we need time .. so a little more cushion will be
benificial.

Of course, IMHO.