[cdt-dev] Managed Make Builder: configurations specification

I would like to raise a question about architecture and OS as a build configuration parameters. As far as I understand from CDT code now they work as filters while target list populating (CProjectPlatformPage.populateTargets()). It means that if developer uses Windows machine with X86 processor, he/she sees in the New Project Wizard the list of build targets that accept development computer architecture and OS, for example, cygwin, migwin and Microsoft C/C++. If my understanding is correct, it doesn't get along with cross platform development process. If developer works on Windows box and designs application for UNIX target with ARM CPU, what is the way to specify it now? What do you think: is it reasonable to make it possible for each configuration to define target OS and CPU from target osList and archList ? Filtration how it works now is rather a product configuration issue, it can be resolved during installation or using preferences pages. However it should be done just once (you cannot change OS or CPU type without re-installation). As for build target CPU and OS, they positively can be different for different configuration, and an easy way of their selection seems to me very important. Of course I can do it defining targets for any existing combination of OS and architecture, but it inflates tool chain description quite a lot and besides that just inconvenient.

Alex Chapiro, QSSL

Back to the top