RE: [cdt-dev] CVS restructuring

At this stage of the game, I'm not going to fuss too much. There is just
to much work being held up waiting for this.

I was under the assumption that my proposal would work with the current
committer groups as well. It was just an attempt to organize the projects
a bit, but that can probably be done with other techniques. And the soft
link thing is a great idea!

+1 from me.

Doug Schaefer, IBM's Eclipse CDT Architect
Ottawa (Palladium), Ontario, Canada

Sebastien Marineau <sebastien@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
05/03/2004 09:15 AM
Please respond to
cdt-dev

"'cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: [cdt-dev] CVS restructuring

Hi Doug,

I subsequently had a quick chat with Mike (webmaster), and have slightly
different
proposal which keeps the current commiter groups and rights. It is as
follows:

Top-level dirs match commit groups (we can rename if we'd like)

cdt-core:
                 Members:
smarineau,dschaefer,amagloire,mkhodjai,jcamelon,hamer,aniefer,gheorghe,dingl
is,
                 Subdirs:
                 cdt-ui-home
                 cdt-core-home
                 org.eclipse.cdt.core
                 org.eclipse.cdt.ui
                 org.eclipse.cdt.ui.tests
                 org.eclipse.cdt.core.win32
                 org.eclipse.cdt.core.solaris
                 org.eclipse.cdt.core.linux
                 org.eclipse.cdt.core.qnx
                 org.eclipse.cdt.core.tests
                 org.eclipse.cdt.core.aix

cdt-debug:
                 Members: mkhodjai,dinglis,amagloire,dschaefer,smarineau,
                 Subdirs:
                 cdt-debug-home
                 org.eclipse.cdt.debug.core
                 org.eclipse.cdt.debug.ui
                 org.eclipse.cdt.debug.mi.core
                 org.eclipse.cdt.debug.ui.tests
                 org.eclipse.cdt.debug.mi.ui
                 org.eclipse.cdt.debug.core.tests

cdt-launch:
                 Members:
smarineau,dinglis,tfletcher,mkhodjai,amagloire,dschaefer,
                 Subdirs:
                 cdt-launcher-home
                 org.eclipse.cdt.launch

cdt-releng:
                 Members: ,smarineau,dschaefer,dinglis,amagloire,
                 Subdirs:
                 org.eclipse.cdt
                 org.eclipse.cdt-feature
                 org.eclipse.cdt.linux.gtk-feature
                 org.eclipse.cdt.linux.motif-feature
                 org.eclipse.cdt.qnx.photon-feature
                 org.eclipse.cdt.solaris.motif-feature
                 org.eclipse.cdt.win32-feature
                 org.eclipse.cdt.linux.gtk
                 org.eclipse.cdt.linux.motif
                 org.eclipse.cdt.qnx.photon
                 org.eclipse.cdt.solaris.motif
                 org.eclipse.cdt.source
                 org.eclipse.cdt.source-feature
                 org.eclipse.cdt.win32
                 org.eclipse.cdt.testing
                 org.eclipse.cdt.testing-feature
                 org.eclipse.cdt.releng
                 org.eclipse.cdt.aix
                 org.eclipse.cdt.aix-feature

cdt-build
                 Members: ,smarineau,amagloire,dinglis,dschaefer,sevoy,
                 Subdirs:
                 org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.tests
                 org.eclipse.cdt.make.core
                 org.eclipse.cdt.make.ui
                 org.eclipse.cdt.make-feature
                 org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core
                 org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.ui
                 org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder-feature

cdt-old:
                 Members: ,jduimovich,smarineau,
                 Subdirs: all existing subdirs preserved

cdt-doc:
                 Members:
jduimovich,smarineau,dschaefer,khapitas,amagloire,ddaoust,tdesous,
                 Subdirs:
                 cdt-home
                 cdt-doc-home
                 cdt-test-home
                 org.eclipse.cdt.doc.user
                 org.eclipse.cdt.doc.isv

cdt-cppunit:
                 Members: jduimovich,smarineau,mlescuyer,dschaefer,
                 Subdirs:
                 org.eclipse.cdt.cppunit
                 org.eclipse.cdt.cppunit-feature

That is, the current top-level plugins would be moved one level down into
the top-level "committer-aligned"
directories, e.g. cdt-core, cdt-debug etc. Committer groups would have the
ability to create new plugins in
their hierarchy at will.

Missing from this is a "home" for the Redhat plugins (oprofile, rpm), as
well as GNU extensions for the core.
One suggestion would be to create a cdt-gnu-ext group which would could
contain the "gnu extensions" plugins.

Transition plan

The above re-org would create some short-term pains as it would change the
src hierarchy and could potentially
break currently checked-out projects. To mitigate this, Mike (webmaster)
has
a proposal: use symlinks to preserve
the top-level plugins for a period of time. So for example, here's what
would happen to org.eclipse.cdt.core:

/home/tools/org.eclipse.cdt.core moved to
/home/tools/cdt-core/org.eclipse.cdt.core
/home/tools/org.eclipse.cdt.core becomes a symlink to
/home/tools/cdt-core/org.eclipse.cdt.core

We would leave the symlinks in place for a set amount of time, probably at
least into the fall as various
external companies may be using the current src hierarchy (e.g. with
pre-2.0
releases).

Finally, if we agree with this proposal (or a modified one closer to
Doug's), then webmaster will likely
require CDT to hold-off from doing any commits for a set period of time
(probably a day) as the directories
are moved and all permissions are checked. However, with the symlinks, it
should not affect any checked-out
src and work-in-progress that has not been checked in (this has to be
verified first). It would also give everyone
some time to adjust to the new structure (e.g. with builds etc).

Any thoughts/votes?

Thanks,

Sebastien