[cdt-dev] CVS restructuring

Hey gang,

I was just talking to Mike the Webmaster via e-mail (I forgot to ask his
last name...). He pointed me to the stuff the EMF guys have done. They
have grouped all of their plugins, etc. under org.eclipse.emf. Taking a
look at it, this is exactly what I was talking about. We could do
something similar with org.eclipse.cdt. Once set up we can set up any
directory hierarchy under it that we wish and then change it over time
without bothering the webmaster.

At the risk of making this a proposal instead of an example, we could do
the following. The main idea being to have a directory to contain
everything in a feature plus any other utility need that we may see fit.

org.eclipse.cdt
    platform
        org.eclipse.cdt
        org.eclipse.cdt.core
        org.eclipse.cdt.core.aix
        org.eclipse.cdt.core.linux.x86
        org.eclipse.cdt.core.linux.ppc
        org.eclipse.cdt.core.macosx
        org.eclipse.cdt.core.qnx
        org.eclipse.cdt.core.solaris
        org.eclipse.cdt.core.win32
        org.eclipse.cdt.debug.core
        org.eclipse.cdt.debug.mi.core
        org.eclipse.cdt.debug.mi.ui
        org.eclipse.cdt.debug.ui
        org.eclipse.cdt.doc.user
        org.eclipse.cdt.launch
        org.eclipse.cdt.make.core
        org.eclipse.cdt.make.ui
        org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core
        org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.ui
        org.eclipse.cdt.ui
        org.eclipse.cdt-feature
    test
        org.eclipse.cdt.core.tests
        org.eclipse.cdt.debug.tests
        org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.tests
        org.eclipse.cdt.ui.tests
        org.eclipse.cdt.testing
        org.eclipse.cdt.testing-feature
    releng
        org.eclipse.cdt.releng
        org.eclipse.cdt.sdk
        org.eclipse.cdt.sdk-feature
    cppunit
        org.eclipse.cdt.cppunit
        org.eclipse.cdt.cppunit-feature
    archive
        org.eclipse.cdt.old
        <everything else>

Doug Schaefer, IBM's Eclipse CDT Architect
Ottawa (Palladium), Ontario, Canada

Back to the top