[cdt-dev] Managed builder questions

We in QNX decided to adapt managed build solution to our C/C++ tool set. Doing this work, I'm trying to figure out how to implement some features using managed builder .

1) Pre- and post-build actions. In theory I can add something very generic to the tool chain. However being added to tool chain description, this element becomes a mandatory step, and there is no way to disable it. Besides that, it is difficult to create action that contains several steps, for example copy + copy + copy + delete. 2) This leads me to another question. Is there any way not only to build configuration from standard elements but also to specify class-implementor for any option category? Eventually it is very difficult to combine together convenience of UI and flexibility of implementation 3) It could be real disaster to support all possible configuration. Is there a way to specify general options for all configurations and all targets and then just for some variants to modify common settings. I mean something like option "All" for Platforms and Configurations. Otherwise would I like to change level of warnings for example, I have to visit and update all configurations. 4) I already wrote about that in this mailing list, but didn't find any response. We should distinguish references to file system elements and workspace elements. Keeping in mind projects sharing, every workspace element can and should be done relocatable. As long as workspace element can live in any external folder, physically being located somewhere out of work space, builder should be able to resolve this location dynamically. I mean that: a) for workspace element it is a good idea not to use absolute path to not depend on workspace location; b) Workspace-relative path of element should not depend on its physical location relative to workspace. It is also seems to be convenient to have in some cases two Browse buttons: one to pick up workspace element and one to pick up the file system element. 5) Is there a way to inhibit some platforms I've got with CDT? For instance, I don't use cygwin, but I don't understand how to remove it from the selection list in New Project wizard. 6) Any ideas how in managed builder to recompile selected file? How to define file-specific options, for example, the level of optimization? 7) I don't understand how to manage error parser stuff. Is there a way to assign error parser to any tool chain? 8) I haven't found out an easy way to let builder know which variant I want to build. Is there any way to do that without opening of Properties dialog?

Thanks,

Alex Chapiro, QSSL

Back to the top