Re: [cdt-dev] Heads-up to managed build developers

Hi Sean:

Please see my comments below.
----- Original Message -----
From: Sean Evoy
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 7:14 AM
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Heads-up to managed build developers

Mike,
I have been playing around with your enhancement and I like it a lot! I have added in a delete key event handler for the list widget so the user can delete from the keyboard. I have also added a snippet of code to try and force the list widget to be no wider than the title bar so all the buttons are displayed, even if the list entry is wider than the screen.  These are tiny changes and I hope you are OK with them.
[Mike]
Yep.  Sounds good to me.  (The more improvements like this the better.)

There are two big ones I would like to clear with you, though. In the case of the 'Add' button event handler, I would like to reuse the entry widget that I recently added to the old list editor. It is a basic entry widget that shows a Browse button if the option type is a file or dir.

That gives the user a chance to hand-enter a value and does not force them to use a browser. Let me know if this is going to effect your product at all.

[Mike]
Not a problem for us.  Just a couple of comments...
- To be consistant with other parts of Eclipse, I recommend placing the Browse button to the right of the edit box.  In many cases, we would just use a small button with an ellipse (...) instead of the word Browse to save space.  But, either 'Browse...' or '...' is fine.

- With the existing File Open dialog approach, the user can still type in the directory name.  They just type it into the edit box in the dialog.  The benefit of entering the directory here is that an auto-complete list box is displayed as the user types in the directory.  As the user types, valid directories are displayed in the list box.  I thought this was a nice feature.  (Try it and see if you like it).   Also, with the File Open dialog, the user can not enter a directory that does not exist.  The dialog only returns valid directories.  This was an easy way to validate the data from the user.

The second major change is that I would like to use the information in the option to set the browse type of the field editor. That is the motivation behind my last schema change and it allows me to prompt for files (for a library or object file list), paths (for includes and lib directories), or normal old text strings for symbols and misc. Again, can you see any negative impact for your team if I make that change?
[Mike]
This is fine with us.  We assumed you would be adding this feature.  We will update to your new approach once we update to the next release of the CDT.

Best Regards-

Mike Charls
BitMethods, Inc.

Back to the top