Re: [cdt-core-dev] Re: [cdt-dev] Building a GNOME IDE for Eclipse

> 	a) Recursively parse Makefile.am files starting from the topmost =
> Makefile.am and using the SUBDIRS variable to recursively traverse to =
> child directories. At each directory level, look at _PROGRAMS, _SOURCES, =
> etc. to build a structure of all targets, dependencies, flags, etc. For =
> this we need a Makefile.am parser which is not very difficult to write, =
> esp. if we use Perl code from automake to parse the files. We will, of =
> course, need configuration and user input for things like conditional =
> definition of SUBDIRS, PROGRAMS, etc. The Makefile.am files contain =
> sufficient information to get virtually all details of building the =
> project.

I think, I can help with that.  We already have Makefile parser in java,
this will give us a better integration instead of Perl.
We can take this up in private email and see how far we can run ...

> 	b) Parse configure.in. We will have to store the result in an internal =
> representation, consisting mainly of two types of lines: simple shells =
> and autoconf macro invocations. We might need to run aclocal before if =
> aclocal.m4 is missing and pars e that to get a list of available macros =
> and their parameters. Again, writing such a parser should not be =
> difficult, esp. if we use perl code from autoconf (I believe KDevelop =
> already does something like this, and there is also some code in the =
> anjuta2 project to achieve this)

Yes, we probably need this too, to complete the picture.

> I hope this makes sense.

Yes, but some of it still obscure.

>We need to decide how much of this shoiuld be =
> writen in Java and how much in perl. Are there are PCRE (www.pcre.org) =
> bindings for Java BTW ? Then we can write the whole thing in Java I =
> would say.

I can take a closer look at the Makefile parser.

> Of course, let me reiterate: I am completely new to Eclipse and Java, so =
> things might be quite a bit of from how hese things are handled in the =
> Eclipse ramework - in which case, please feel free to corect me/guide me =
> in the right direction. I intend to do some serious reading of Eclipse =
> documentation and take myself through some Java tutorials soon.

8-), Eclipse has some nice tutorial.

Back to the top