RE: [cdt-dev] Vote for new CDT features

Given that time is starting to run short, here's my final proposal:

New projects:
org.eclipse.cdt.platform
org.eclipse.cdt.platform-feature
org.eclipse.cdt.platform.aix
org.eclipse.cdt.platform.aix-feature
org.eclipse.cdt.platform.linux
org.eclipse.cdt.platform.linux-feature
org.eclipse.cdt.platform.qnx
org.eclipse.cdt.platform.qnx-feature
org.eclipse.cdt.platform.solaris
org.eclipse.cdt.platform.solaris-feature
org.eclipse.cdt.platform.win32
org.eclipse.cdt.platform.win32-feature

Note the merging of the linux features and the new aix feature which is
almost operational but not officially supported in 1.2. The contents of
these would match the current contents of their equivalents without the
'.platform', which would then be enlarged to include the platform, make,
and managedmake features for 1.2.

I'd also like to address the os.ws plugins (e.g. linux.gtk) but we may be
running out of time for this in 1.2.  This would entail creating the
following projects and deal with obsoleting projects at a later date:
org.eclipse.cdt.linux
org.eclipse.cdt.linux-feature
org.eclipse.cdt.qnx
org.eclipse.cdt.qnx-feature
org.eclipse.cdt.solaris
org.eclipse.cdt.solaris-feature

Any more votes/comments or are we ready to go? I have a major bug for
this, BTW :-)

Cheers,
Doug Schaefer, Senior Software Developer
IBM Rational Software, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Douglas Schaefer/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
09/23/2003 10:58 AM
Please respond to
cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
RE: [cdt-dev] Vote for new CDT features

I like that idea. To help promote the CDT base as a platform and to avoid
overload of the term core, I would call it
org.eclipse.cdt.platform-feature.

Doug Schaefer, Senior Software Developer
IBM Rational Software, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Sebastien Marineau <sebastien@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
09/23/2003 10:46 AM
Please respond to
cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

"'cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: [cdt-dev] Vote for new CDT features

I'm partial to option 1 as well -- definitely the easiest for
users. If companies want to bundle a subset of CDT, then they
can "split it apart" and only take the base pieces they wish.

As for the name, that's a good question. org.eclipse.cdt.product
could be misleading; I'm thinking we should almost
use the org.eclipse.cdt-feature plugin (existing one) as the
super-feature, and create one that is the core feature
(e.g. org.eclipse.cdt.core-feature) that maps to what
the cdt-feature does today.

Thoughts?

Seb