RE: [cdt-dev] Re: [cdt-debug-dev] CDT 1.2.0.50 success story for arm JTAG eCos

I have only 2 points to bring up with this process :

 - What you wrote implies that committers from Monday on must ensure that
there is a defect for every fix within a patch; i am not sure if that is
the consensus (would require a Committer vote methinks)
 - According to the Eclipse process, Severity is set by the user and
priority by the component owner.  Priority should be the gating criteria
in this case (if it matters to anyone)

JohnC

Kleanthis Hapitas/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
09/19/2003 02:53 PM
Please respond to
cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
RE: [cdt-dev] Re: [cdt-debug-dev] CDT 1.2.0.50 success story for arm JTAG
eCos

I agree that we might be more productive if we delayed creating the
branch...

We have already had a discussion and a proposal on how to manage the
content going into the stream in these last couple of weeks, which was as
follows:

We talked about creating (and regularly posting) a list of defects that we
would consider "gating" (i.e. serious enough to potentially delay the
release). That list would consist of all defects with a severity of
"blocking", "critical", or "major". If people agree that this is a
reasonable criteria for what gets patched into the release going forward
and what doesn't, then I could easily keep this list up to date and post
it regularly as we head into the last couple of weeks. If there are
defects that should be fixed but are not in the list, all it would take to
get them there is to set the appropriate severity and target release
fields.

At the moment, such a list currently contains 29 defects (1 blocking, 10
critical & 18 major) attached below.

So what do people think? Would seeing this list once every couple of days
help focus attention on stabilizing the release?

Kleo

List of currently unresolved Blocking, Critical and Major defects

ID        Sev        Pri        Plt        Owner Reporter State Result
Comp                Vers        TargetM        Summary

42916        cri        P3        PC        alain@xxxxxxx
twolff@xxxxxxxxxx        NEW                Core                1.2 ---
c/c++ task tags not recognized
42929        cri        P3        PC        gheorghe@xxxxxxxxxx
kesselhaus@xxxxxxx        NEW                CDT-pars        1.2 ---  "log
gets filled when parser throws on standard headers, i..."
43099        cri        P3        PC        gheorghe@xxxxxxxxxx
gheorghe@xxxxxxxxxx        NEW                Core                2 ---
Dep Tree Persistence
43100        cri        P3        PC        gheorghe@xxxxxxxxxx
gheorghe@xxxxxxxxxx        NEW                Core                2 ---
Dep Tree/Indexer concurrency problem
43372        cri        P3        PC        Mikhailk@xxxxxxx
twolff@xxxxxxxxxx        NEW                Debug                1.2  ---
     Cannot debug managed c++ project
43220        cri        P3        PC        sevoy@xxxxxxxxxx
twolff@xxxxxxxxxx        NEW                Core                1.2 ---
Cannot link an object file in managed c/c++ project
43292        cri        P3        PC        sevoy@xxxxxxxxxx
twolff@xxxxxxxxxx        NEW                Core                1.2 ---
Cannot manage configurations in build properties page
41282        maj        P3        PC        alain@xxxxxxx
twolff@xxxxxxxxxx        NEW                Core                1.2 ---
Can't build from C/C++ Projects view
43129        maj        P3        PC        aniefer@xxxxxxxxxx
bnicolle@xxxxxxxxxx        NEW                CDT-pars        1.2 ---
Search: Cannot search for definitions of global variables
43105        maj        P3        All        dschaefe@xxxxxxxxxx
dschaefe@xxxxxxxxxx        NEW                Cpp-Exte        1.2 ---  Fix
update site to point to the right location
43348        maj        P3        PC        gheorghe@xxxxxxxxxx
dinglis@xxxxxxx        NEW                        Core                1.2
     ---        Long workbench shutdown times
43215        maj        P3        PC        gheorghe@xxxxxxxxxx
gheorghe@xxxxxxxxxx        NEW                UI                2 ---
C/C++ Perspective rename
41275        maj        P3        PC        sevoy@xxxxxxxxxx
twolff@xxxxxxxxxx        NEW                Core                1.2 ---
Dependent project is not rebuilt by Dependee
42522        maj        P3        PC        sevoy@xxxxxxxxxx
twolff@xxxxxxxxxx        NEW                Core                1.2 ---
Managed make doesn't refresh CProject view properly
35461        blo        P3        PC        alain@xxxxxxx
fernando@xxxxxxxxxxxxx        NEW                Core                1.2
  1.2        Can't install latest CDT relase (1.0.1) on Linux GTK+
25816        cri        P3        PC        alain@xxxxxxx
d92-jwa@xxxxxxxxxxx        NEW                Core                1.2  1.2
       "Pressing ""+"" in the Navigator on a binary hangs Eclipse"
36859        cri        P3        PC        alain@xxxxxxx
compiler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx        NEW                UI                1.2
1.2        eclipse hangs after closing a project
41720        cri        P3        PC        sevoy@xxxxxxxxxx
twolff@xxxxxxxxxx        NEW                Core                1.2 1.2
library added to a project not included in makefile
41826        cri        P3        PC        sevoy@xxxxxxxxxx
twolff@xxxxxxxxxx        NEW                Core                1.2 1.2
Incremental builds for managed projects must be implemented
43106        maj        P3        PC        aniefer@xxxxxxxxxx
hamer@xxxxxxxxxx        REOP                CDT-pars        1.2        1.2
       Symbol Table support needed to resolve types
43156        maj        P3        All        aniefer@xxxxxxxxxx
jcamelon@xxxxxxxxxx        NEW                CDT-pars        1.2 1.2
require ability to add in implicit inheritance copy const...
41751        maj        P3        PC        gheorghe@xxxxxxxxxx
twolff@xxxxxxxxxx        NEW                Core                1.2 1.2
Cannot search on cpp files
42865        maj        P3        All        gheorghe@xxxxxxxxxx
jcamelon@xxxxxxxxxx        NEW                Core                1.2  1.2
       remove the Indexer tab from the Project property page
43021        maj        P3        PC        jcamelon@xxxxxxxxxx
bnicolle@xxxxxxxxxx        NEW                CDT-pars        1.2 1.2
Search: cannot find things in stdio.h
43051        maj        P3        PC        jcamelon@xxxxxxxxxx
bnicolle@xxxxxxxxxx        NEW                CDT-pars        1.2 1.2
Search: cannot specify relative search paths
43053        maj        P3        PC        jcamelon@xxxxxxxxxx
jcamelon@xxxxxxxxxx        NEW                CDT-pars        1.2 1.2
require reference cleanup for expressions
43084        maj        P3        All        jcamelon@xxxxxxxxxx
jcamelon@xxxxxxxxxx        NEW                CDT-pars        1.2 1.2
need to restructure TypeId to allow dynamic_cast<> type e...
38896        maj        P3        PC        Mikhailk@xxxxxxx
hb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx        NEW                Debug                1.1
1.2        watching a global variable dont work in debug mode
42904        maj        P3        PC        sevoy@xxxxxxxxxx
twolff@xxxxxxxxxx        NEW                Core                1.2 1.2
"Managed build path properties don't recognize ""\"""

Douglas Schaefer/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
09/19/2003 01:56 PM

Please respond to
cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
RE: [cdt-dev] Re: [cdt-debug-dev] CDT 1.2.0.50 success story for arm JTAG
eCos

I would only agree with creating the branch now if we felt that merging
fixes from the 1.2 branch to HEAD will be relatively painless.  I get the
feeling there will still be a good chunk of churn leading up to "code
freeze" at the end of Sept and would prefer we get to that point before
branching.

Doug Schaefer, Senior Software Developer
IBM Rational Software, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Sebastien Marineau <sebastien@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
09/19/2003 12:50 PM
Please respond to
cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

"'cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: [cdt-dev] Re: [cdt-debug-dev] CDT 1.2.0.50 success story for arm JTAG
eCos

> Please don't die on me Alain.  You're quite valuable to this
> project, I
> don't want to give you a coronary.
>
> Today is supposed to be feature freeze date.  Thus, from
> Monday on (since
> the weekend still counts as today :-) ) we are only supposed
> to be fixing
> bugs.
> There is no reason why we couldn't cut the branch on Monday
> and thus put
> things that we weren't counting on as being in 1.2 (like this
> feature,
> IMO) in the HEAD.
>
> Otherwise, what criteria should we be using for screening new
> features/patches for 1.2?  Who will be testing it or
> supplying docs upon
> it?

I'd suggest we cut the branch for 1.2 ASAP (e.g. Monday) to allow us
to ship 1.2 on schedule. You are absolutely correct that we need to
stabilize and focus on bugfixing over the next few weeks.

+1 on branching Monday.

Sebastien