RE: [cdt-dev] 1.1 release candidate posted

Hi Doug,

-----Original Message-----
From: Douglas Schaefer [mailto:dschaefe@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 11:32 AM
To: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] 1.1 release candidate posted

Unfortunately you guys didn't really communicate what you were doing with build numbers.  As a result, the work you did does not address the update site.  The update site uses the version numbers from the feature.xml files.  Also, the update site build mechanism seems to be a different beast from the build.xml ant files.  It appears that the update site build uses the results from the regular autobuild and puts things into jar files.

We went by the comments that Dave made with respect to needed finer control (beyond the versions) for the updates -- it was
assumed this was the build number from the about.* files. I think I see what you mean -- the update purely works off the versions from the feature.xml,
so the finest granularity is the sub-minor version number, e.g. we'd have to rev from 1.1.0 to 1.1.1 for the update mechanism to flag
this as a new version (right?).

I've been investigating a new/different build mechanism that sits in a plugin and uses the CVS and PDE plugins to do the build and then sun.net.ftp to upload them to the update site.  This mechanism would have to include a way to programatically update the feature and plugin xml files to include the build number.  But this is more like a 1.2 thing since it will take a couple of weeks to try out.  If it works out, we could use this instead which would also let anyone in the world do the build and upload it.  We'll see how it goes, though.

That would be great. As it stands, all the builds are being done headless (automated builds) using ant scripts, and that is proving
to be somewhat of a pain.

For 1.1, I think it would be fine to take the GA version of the 1.1 stream and build up the update site with the 1.1.0 version number.  We can continue doing nightly builds the way we have been on HEAD and install them by hand.

So... it sounds like the RC build, as it stands, is fine, as it is marked as "1.1.0" (I'm not sure what more we'd have to do for
the update site anyways?). The only cleanups I've seen up to now for the GA are adding the link to CPPUnit.

Thanks,

Sebastien

Doug Schaefer
Rational Software - IBM Software Group