From: Chris Songer [mailto:songer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 8:12 PM
To: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [cdt-dev] Tensilica

Hi!

Tensilica has started some development with eclipse and the cdt and I
wanted to drop the dev list an email to let you all know who we are and
broadly what we are doing.

Briefly, Tensilica sells processor intellectual property to people who are
making chips. The Tensilica processor architecture is called Xtensa and was
designed for the embedded market. It is differentiated against the obvious
competitors by small code size, "configurability" and "extendability." We
are privately held, have been in business about 5 years, and have 100+
people world wide and lots of customers. More details are available at
www.tensilica.com.

We are looking at supporting our processor with Eclipse/cdt and have a
small team of people inside the company who have been working on it for the
last month or so. We will have a better feel for our feature direction once
we have a prototype up and working and can get some usability testing in.

To your credit, we already have our gnu tools integrated with the cdt, are
building (and sort of running) applications built with it and have been
adding what we consider to be the essential missing features for us to
release for a usability test. Most notable among these features are
Makefile generation, project targets and support for things about which
only our customers could possibly care. :)

Though our feature goals are not yet set, I am certain that many of the
features will be of general interest to people wanting to develop C with
Eclipse or to port Eclipse/cdt to another processor architecture. It is our
intent to develop those features of broad interest with input from the
community and to distribute them back to the community as quickly as
possible and feasible for us.

I'm happy to chat with anyone who has any further questions about who we
are or what we are doing.

Thanks!
-Chris
songer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Voice: 408 327 7341 Fax 408 986 8919
Director of Platform Engineering, Tensilica Inc