[cdt-dev] Tensilica

Hi!

Tensilica has started some development with eclipse and the cdt and I wanted to drop the dev list an email to let you all know who we are and broadly what we are doing.

Briefly, Tensilica sells processor intellectual property to people who are making chips. The Tensilica processor architecture is called Xtensa and was designed for the embedded market. It is differentiated against the obvious competitors by small code size, "configurability" and "extendability." We are privately held, have been in business about 5 years, and have 100+ people world wide and lots of customers. More details are available at www.tensilica.com.

We are looking at supporting our processor with Eclipse/cdt and have a small team of people inside the company who have been working on it for the last month or so. We will have a better feel for our feature direction once we have a prototype up and working and can get some usability testing in.

To your credit, we already have our gnu tools integrated with the cdt, are building (and sort of running) applications built with it and have been adding what we consider to be the essential missing features for us to release for a usability test. Most notable among these features are Makefile generation, project targets and support for things about which only our customers could possibly care. :)

Though our feature goals are not yet set, I am certain that many of the features will be of general interest to people wanting to develop C with Eclipse or to port Eclipse/cdt to another processor architecture. It is our intent to develop those features of broad interest with input from the community and to distribute them back to the community as quickly as possible and feasible for us.

I'm happy to chat with anyone who has any further questions about who we are or what we are doing.

Thanks!
-Chris
songer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Voice: 408 327 7341 Fax 408 986 8919
Director of Platform Engineering, Tensilica Inc

Back to the top