From: cdt-debug-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:cdt-debug-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of maestro
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 11:51 AM
To: cdt-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [cdt-debug-dev] gdb hogs cpu at startup

Hello!

I try to debug firefox in cdt using gdb 6.8.
When I launch a debug gdb hogs one cpu with 100% for about
90seconds before the debug target starts executing. Once the
target is running almost every breakpoint results in a
"Target request failed: Target is not responding (timed
out)." error message, nontheless I can step through the code
after that error.

In contrast: When I launch gdb from a terminal with the same
parameters as configured for the debug in cdt the 90seconds
startup lag does not occur (the target starts executing right
away, as one would expect) and the debugger seems much more
responsive than in cdt.

So I'm interested in what causes this startup lag and what
can I do to make gdb in cdt at least comparably fast to gdb
run from a terminal.

thanks for your suggestions
--m

p.s. system is pentium d dual core 2.6GHz with 2Gb ram.
Debian GNU\Linux 4.0 (aka etch), Eclipse 3.4.0, cdt 5.0.0.200806171202