Re: [cdt-debug-dev] Patch to improve error messages

At 01:14 PM 3/31/2008, Øyvind Harboe wrote:
>  I very rarely change code based purely on inspection. I like to see
>  something fail before I go fix it, especially if it's something
>  reported by someone else...even if it looks obvious. I'm assuming you
>  found this not by code inspection by actually seeing a nondescript
>  error message surface. If you did, and it can be reproduced with a
>  standard gdb/mi session, telling me what those steps are will make
>  things easier for me. Otherwise, I have to go rig the code to
>  manufacture the scenario I think you're having.

Since CDT is something that plugins can build on,
I'm sure that this is a familiar problem: you can't exercise
all your code paths using CDT alone.

As I recall this problem *can* happen with normal CDT, but it
becomes severe w/e.g. the Zylin Embedded CDT plugin. The Zylin Embedded
CDT pushes error handling into GDB as much as possible as GDB
is capable of a lot more than CDT really knows about w.r.t. what file
formats are supported, whether files are really required for to debug, etc.

I don't expect the CDT committers to install the Zylin Embedded CDT plugin,
or other plugins for that matter, so a reproduction scenario should only
include CDT code. JUnit(or similar) test cases would of course be nice here.

And that is fine. I did footnote my original request with this possibility. I'll take it from here.

John

Back to the top