Re: [cdt-debug-dev] Patch to improve error messages

At 12:28 PM 3/31/2008, Øyvind Harboe wrote:
Hi John,

excuse my ignorance, but are you a committer?

I am.

>  Can you explain how to reproduce the problem. If
>  I remove the executable of a simple project
>  before launching a debug session, I get an error
>  dialog that needs improved grammar, but isn't
>  completely nonsensical or cryptic (see attached
>  screenshot). I assume your scenario is different.
>  It's important to provide reproducibility steps
>  when you submit a patch (if possible; sometimes,
>  a bug can be seen with a particular backend but
>  not the standard gnu/cygwin ones.

Are you in agreement that, fundamentally, error messages
should be propagated and not anonymized?

I am.

>  And of course, the formal process is to create a bugzilla report.

I've tried that for lots of patches through the years. I'm trying something
a bit different this time to see if I have any better luck. It's an experiment
if you will.

I'm not sure you're going to have much success since ultimately someone should be opening a bugzilla report. All you're doing is making more work for committers

Interestingly, you didn't supply the key piece of information I requested. Reproducibility steps.

John

Back to the top