[cdt-debug-dev] enable binary parsers without C/C++ MakeProjectNature

Hello,

I am the project lead for the GNATbench plug-in for Eclipse, a plug-in similar
in flavor to the CDT but for GNU Ada 95 and Ada 2005 (ie, GNAT).

We have our users install the CDT for the sake of the debugger interface but we
would like to avoid setting the required natures when creating projects because
doing so adds interfaces that may confuse users.

Specifically, we currently include the following when configuring our Ada projects:

        CProjectNature.addCNature(...);
        MakeProjectNature.addNature(...);
        ScannerConfigNature.addScannerConfigNature(...);

Without these natures, users cannot configure the binary parser to recognize our
executables when creating a new debug configuration and so no configuration can
be created.

I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for how we can work around this issue.

Zylin Embedded CDT 4.0 (cdt-contrib) supports project- and binaryless
debugging.

http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/cdt-debug-dev/msg01781.html

http://www.zylin.com/embeddedcdt.html

The current implementation is hairy, but if there is interest and
development resources available to do projectless debugging, then I
don't think it would be *very* hard to wean CDT off it's project +
binary dependance to create a debug session. GDB has no such
depenency, so CDT shouldn't either as it breaks e.g. Ada, Fortran,
Cobol and D debugging and embedded debugging. :-)

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com - eCos ARM & FPGA  developer kit

Back to the top