Re: [cdt-debug-dev] Re: Using hardware breakpoints

Ray,

Thanks.

We are developing a hardware debugger, so are aware of the issues. We wish to expose (to the user) the ability of our debugger to set hardware breakpoints.

[Note: in fact most debuggers, including GDB, have this ability. However, hardware breakpoints are a limited resource (an ARM7 has 2 h/w breakpoints, for example) and so some management of the resource is essential. Software breakpoints work by patching a break/exception/interrupt instruction into the code. This is OK in RAM based systems, but something that is not easily done in flash/rom based system]

--
Derek

Ray Hurst wrote:
Derek Morris wrote:
Hi,

I was investigating how to add hardware breakpoints to my debugger support in CDT. I notice that internally hardware breakpoints appear to be supported, but I can't see how to use them in the UI. Can anybody throw some light on this?

Thanks,

Derek,
Actually I may have answered too soon.
Hardware breakpoints are IC specific so most generic debuggers rely on software breakpoints. Software breakpoints work across all CPU's that belong to the same family and are easier to implement.
Ray