[cdt-debug-dev] Projectless debugging broken in CDT CVS HEAD 4.0

The usage of the binary parser is not limited by the executable validation on the
session startup. It is also used to get the symbols before and durring the session. In gdb
6.5 the mi symbol query commands are not implemented and even if it was, it would be
available during the gdb session only.

I've added code to the Zylin Embedded CDT plugin that implements a
dummy IBinaryObject. It appears to work just fine. I can't see any
evidence that CDT somehow misbehaves because it does not have this
information. What functionality would should I be missing?

- Remove requirement for a dummy project to be able to do projectless debugging

Removing the project requirement is not easy, a lot of code needs to be changed.

I've added code to the Zylin Embedded CDT that implements a dummy
project object. It was a) not difficult b) seems to work very well.

Sure, the code is rough, but before I do any more work I'd like to get
some feedback on my idea to add two interfaces that narrows down the
interface between the debugger and the project and binary file.

Basically an object that supports these interfaces would be passed in
to the debugger instead of the project and the IBinaryObject.

It would be trivial to implement a wrapper object(adapter?) that
implemented this interface on top of a project and an IBinaryObject
respectively.

Given how few methods that are actually used, evidently it should be
easy to implement projectless/binary object file less debugging using
these interfaces.

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com - eCos ARM & FPGA  developer kit