Re: [cdt-debug-dev] Using Eclipse for remote debugging

Brenner Joel wrote:
Alain Magloire wrote:
What I see is that I don't have shared library debug support on my
sparc-elf-gdb (which makes sense for an embedded target). (It don't
accept "set auto-solib-add on") but Eclipse try to enable it. Is there a vay
to tell to Eclipse that it should not enable shared library support when
it starts gdb (don't ask for auto-solib-add on )?

Yes, the exception is pass all the way up, terminating the debug session.
For now, we can ignore the exception, until a better solution
to deal with shared libs and gdb.

Fix in cvs head.

I'm extremely happy about this...
    but I've now the next problem.
    Which head are you speaking about. I've downloaded the cdt packages (I suppose the fix is there ) ant tried to compile them but at each time that I download a new package
in order to satisfy a dependency a new one comes up. Have I to download the whole Eclipse source ? are there binaries available ?

Regards Joel

--
Joel Brenner   -- Designer
E-mail: joel.brenner@xxxxxxxxxxx

NemeriX SA Stabile Gerre 2000
PO Box 425 6928 Manno, Switzerland
----------

Finally I've fully operational Embedded/Remote IDE. Eclipse/CDT work  now with a cross  GNU tool chain (sparc-elf) on a Linux and Windows  host. The debugging is done with (sparc-elf) gdb 5.3.

The following are my considerations/feedback:

    - shared library should be an option. On the last head CDT tolerates now an error returned by gdb when "set-auto-solib-add on" is executed. This is a good work around.
    - thread support should also be an option. There are a lot of embedded targets which don't supports threads (sparc-elf,...).  This is not a serious problem, it simple causes
        errors on gdb console at each execution step (and slows therefore down the debugging).
   -  org.eclipse.cdt.debug.mi.core_1.0.1/plugin.xml should now be modified manually to support not native debugging.

The debugging speed is 5 to 8 time faster on a windows machine than on a Linux/motive machine.

Regards and thanks.

PS: unfortunately I don't now Java which don't allows me do modify the code by myself.
NICE TO HAVE:
    accessing gdb directly via gdb console in Eclipse.

--
Joel Brenner   -- Designer
E-mail: joel.brenner@xxxxxxxxxxx
Phone:  +41 91 612 46 00 -- Fax : +41 91 612 47 01
Direct: +41 91 612 47 12
www.nemerix.com

NemeriX SA Stabile Gerre 2000
PO Box 425 6928 Manno, Switzerland