[cbi-dev] Progress with Platform Build and Sonar

Hi all,

Build (without tests) of Platform on Hudson is now successful [1]. It's using a fork of the aggregator to use latest fix for bug 412664 but it is meant to use the latest aggregator (I-Build) when available.
This did run default Sonar analysis (PMD + Checkstyle), and reports can be found at [2]. On this reports you can see some metrics. So far, the most interesting one is the Rules Compliance. Sonar configuration makes that generally BLOCKER and CRITICAL issues are worth a fix as they're having a bad effect at runtime. If we look at the currently broken CRITICAL rules [3], we can see some of them (equals/hashCode or useless control) can have bad effect on performance, some others such as "Useless operations on immutable" are most likely bugs introduced by a wrong API usage. Then if we look at the MAJOR rules [4], we can see many advices of how to make code cleaner, then more maintainable. Those probably don't deserve immediate actions, but might be worth a shot while modifying a source file.
I'd like to run FindBugs analysis on Platform as well, but I'm currently facing an issue with FindBugs not able to find class files: https://hudson.eclipse.org/hudson/job/platform-sonar/13/console.

Note that all those warning we see in Sonar can be shown directly in Workspace using a more aggressive warning check in JDT preferences, and installing FindBugs plugin and enabling it on your project. I personally find that an aggressive warning config + FindBugs really helps in avoiding some bugs with very low effort (just fix what has a bug icon on the left). Of course, you'll see a lot of warnings in your IDE, and not all of them are important, but in the end, you learn how to care about the most important, and time after time, you start adopting the conventions of checkstyle and FindBugs which are actually quite good for maintenance.

Now that we know some places where to improve code, I'll try to work on running performance tests. When I can have them to work, I'll try to fix some issues spotted by Sonar, and check whether this has an effect on performances.

Here is a simple process to take advantage of Sonar: before a milestone build, let's have a look at Sonar and find whether some issues would deserve an effort; if yes, fix them.

I really hope that on mid-term, Sonar will be used occasionally by the existing and new contributors, and that the project as it will help to remove issues and make code more accessible.

Cheers,

[1] https://hudson.eclipse.org/hudson/job/platform-sonar/12/
[2] https://dev.eclipse.org/sonar/dashboard/index/25482?did=4
[3] https://dev.eclipse.org/sonar/drilldown/violations/org.eclipse.platform:platform-aggregator?severity=CRITICAL