Re: [cbi-dev] CBI and (Code) Quality

On 09/10/2012 12:52 PM, Mike Milinkovich wrote:

Mickael,

I don't think anyone is against hosting a Sonar instance at Eclipse, but it is not the #1 priority at the moment.

I'm a bit frustrated: this sentence sounds like "code quality is not a priority". Just like a few monthes ago someone decided "performance tests on platform are not #1 priority"...
What are #1, #2... #10 priorities at the moment ? Which is the rank of having tools to make quality better?
Even if it's low priority, has anyone evaluated the cost of installing Sonar? If it's only about a few minutes to get started, there is probably no need for this task to be considered as #1 priority before someone work on it.

That could change if it turns out that its faster to get better metrics using a tool like Sonar than porting the older Eclipse platform testing frameworks to CBI.

I'll work on it and hopefully will come with some concrete stuff to show that code analysis is worth the effort.
In the meantime, here are the generalities about long-term goodness of static analysis: http://www.eclipsecon.org/2012/sessions/how-profit-static-analysis

 Thank you for your kind offer to set up reports for the Platform. If we get Sonar up and running, I suspect that we would definitely like your help in doing that.

The question now is more "what can we do to get Foundation set up a minimal Sonar install?" The request on Bugzilla shows that I'm not the only one to interest in code quality and think about it as a good way to make better software, it's a pity there has not been progress on that question.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat

Back to the top