[buckminster-dev] Re: Non-intrusive prototyping

kenneth@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Just to ensure correct understanding: when using a mapping of this kind for resolve/materialize, bucky would consider the 'extra' location as hm...'merged', with the 'real' location? More precise, any files in the extra location should shadow the real files (so if someone needs to make a change to an existing cspex for example, they first need to copy the original and then make changes in the copy). Ultimately, they have arrived at a working set of new/changed files and then (assuming they have the rights) they can check in the set in a 'finished' state.

Yes, that sums up the intended behavior.

I think your suggestion is generally fine as-is. As we're already using the cquery as a vehicle for overrides (advisor nodes, props etc) it makes sense to continue in this manner.

I don't see the significance of an extra map file though - the mappings could just as well be listed straight in the cquery. In fact, seems to me to make sense to put the info in question in the advisor nodes (as the mapping of a name => 'hints' is already there).

Agree. I've added a new "Overlay folder" entry to the AdvisorNode.

Not strictly part of this issue, but worth mulling over perhaps: An opinion I've voiced before is that it may sometimes be desirable for paranoic release/build/qa/whatever to be able to request usage of 'pure' cqueries only, i.e. to force the system to disregard any overrides in a cquery in order to ensure that there is no dependence on forgotten/ill-advised overrides.

Isn't the simplest way to accomplish that to just create a clean query? I.e. a query that has no AdvisorNodes? People who care about that are unlikely to accept cqueries that they have no control over anyway.

One possible caveat: We (I) are assuming that this is a temporary (prototyping only) measure, right? If it's supposed to be a longterm thing, then there's obviously a whole different ballgame...

Introducing the ability to perform non-intrusive prototyping is longterm. It's intended use is for prototyping only. One indication of that is that the overlay folder has to be accessible using the file-system, i.e. you cannot use an URL. That should serve as a hint. Another thing is that the group (in the GUI) has the title "Overlay folder (for prototyping)" :-)

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Back to the top