Re: glossary, please! was: [buckminster-dev] component binding

Thomas L Roche wrote:
... especially since "component" appears to be the single most
overloaded term in informatics today.

We know. The good thing about that is that its also extremely generic. We have not been able to come up with something that is a better match. We've discussed:

module
project
artifact
archive
library
bundle
application
package
variants of the above (i.e. software module)

We've found that when asking people, all of them are perceived as more specialized then the term component. The best candidate in my own opinion is 'module' but when JSR277 is realized, a module will be commonly associated with things similar to runtime OSGi bundles whereas we deal with the components in various shapes (from plain source to packaged and deployed). The terms 'project' and 'bundle' are avoided mainly because of their explicit meaning in Eclipse and OSGi.

Anyway, thoughts are always welcome. The choices behind our current use of terminology might be easier to understand by reading our Wiki (http://wiki.tada.se/display/buckminster).

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Back to the top